Endorsement by the Humanist Society does not entitle a humanist chaplain to a paid chaplain position at an institution. Any given institute may require volunteers or paid staff to have professional certifications, whether related to chaplaincy, counseling or other credentials. The society endorsement affirms 1) the individual can authentically represent humanism and 2) the individual is ready to serve according to professional standards within and outside the humanist community.
Board of Chaplaincy Certification Inc. Standards for Board and Associate Certified Humanist Chaplain:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree in theological studies
- Endorsement granted by the Humanist Society
- CPE: 4 units for Board Certified (1600 hours) or 2 units Associate Certified (800 hours)
- Total of 2,000 hours of work experience following completion of CPE units
Recommendation for additional education:
- American Ethical Union Ethical Culture Leaders in Training
- International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism
- AHA Center for Education Humanist Studies Program (Formerly known as The Humanist Institute Certificate Program)
*The Association of Professional Chaplains does NOT require that one complete any of the above additional educational programs in order to be certified as a Humanist Chaplain. It is the recommendation of the Humanist Society and the American Humanist Association, that individuals seek additional education to be articulate advocates of the Humanist life-stance.